Friday, June 4, 2010

Forgiveness.


For you baseball fans out there, I'm sure you saw the history making play this week. I didn't see it, but have heard about it since. A pitcher is one hitter away from pitching a perfect game. 26 outs and 1 to go, the batter hits and runs to first, ball is thrown to the first baseman, everyone holds their breath, and the umpire yells, "SAFE". The pitcher's heart drops in disappointment but what could he do? After the game the umpire goes back to the clubhouse and plays a rerun, he realizes that he made a wrong call. At this point, he had two choices, keep it quiet, or admit it and apologize. Reports say that he went out in tears to the opposing team, confessed, and asked for forgiveness. What was done, is done. History wasn't made, but, this moment in time still has it's headlines and fame. One of the blogs I enjoy following had an excellent article on t
he almost perfect play.

People are really promoting this as an example of two things: confession and forgiveness. Two things that are very important in our lives as Christians. The one the really sticks with me right now is forgiveness. This is something I continually struggle with accepting and giving. It does seem like God is trying to teach me something though, as the Vacation Bible School theme this year is on Forgiveness. How can I teach my youth girls class about something I struggle with? How can I expect them to forgive if I can't forgive?

This weekend I have scheduled to sit down and study my lessons, figure out what angle to approach each evening. I can stick to the Bible stories suggested, teach it 'properly', or, I can bring it close to home. Too close to home for me. Am I willing to 'tear my life apart' and be used by God?

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment