Friday, February 10, 2012

Life is a Game of Hockey



Last night we were lying in bed, Steve trying to sleep and my brain keeping me (and him) from sleeping. We were discussing hockey and the changes that are coming to the game here. As I was venting off about the fear I have when I see the effect that the game has on today's youth, an analogy came to mind.

For a bit of a background, I come from a youth group where hockey was idolized, guys and girls alike became so taken with the game that it seemed nothing else mattered. Not even their relationship with Christ or their Christian witness. When I lived in rural Manitoba several years ago while teaching school, I loved our fun games of hockey. For the majority of the people, it was just a relaxed, fun game. I used to think my parents were over-reacting when they commented about the change to hockey coming in with the acceptance of equipment. Now, I am starting to think they were right. (I can hear the 'I told you so's'!! :) )

In all of this, keep in mind that hockey was always my favourite sport to play! I loved nothing better than having skates on my feet and chasing down that puck. I enjoyed playing defense with the occasional rush on the forward line, but never had the stamina needed for that position! So, yes, I love the game and do hope my children can sometime grow up and play as well!

Now for the analogy:

Think of a hockey game playing Team God's Kingdom against Team Devil's Devices. The game is set up something like this (you can add your own player names):


As the 'game' starts, each side contends for our time, the Devil tries to hit everyday Busyness at us and God's desire would be for us to take time for Outreach. As the Devil crowds in more doing he sneaks past Outreach and is on to his goal. The Forwards of Anger and Fun factor face off against Worship and Church. With Anger and the Devil's version of Fun for a season looking us in the face, Church recedes in importance to us and it really is hard to Worship God anymore. Our strongest Defense in the Christian Life are Prayer and studying God's Word, what better way to hold the adversary at bay? The Devil though, turns around and holds so many tempting 'things' in front of us. Temporary things that tie us to this earth, expensive things that cause us to work harder, longer hours so we can pay for them. Or we buy them anyway and spend all of our life working harder longer hours to pay off debts. Life is such that we will never be happy with where we are in life, there will always be bigger and better to aim for. Unless we ask God for help in finding true contentment, we will not be able to achieve it. Another thing, and what this post is about, that takes away time from God's Word and Prayer, is Sports. How many times have you made it to a sports event, but suddenly, come time for Bible Study or Revival Meetings, you are too tired to go? It's sad, when you go to a church hockey game and it is better attended than Bible Study. What spiritual benefit do you get from sports? I believe sports are great but they need to be kept in moderation. Getting together for a game of volleyball, baseball, or hockey, etc, are great ways to spend time together and fellowship. Think of a game of hockey, how much enjoyment and fellowship do you get out of playing if your competitive side is in full gear? You want to win, you have to win, you MUST win, NO MATTER WHAT!!! Is that conducive to some of the key principles that we as Christians believe in? Take nonresistance for instance, if this country were to draft young men and women for active duty, how many of us would be able to qualify for conscientious objector status? If the officials would ask the local people that have stayed to watch a 'Mennonite' hockey game, what would they say? That these Mennonite/Christian youth are no different than someone who does not profess to be a Christian? That they fight when things get heated just like anyone else? Where would you stand?

With the Centre, Forwards, and Defenses taken over by Team Devil's Devices, it's God left in the goal. What kind of God is He in your net? Is He just a cardboard over the opening, a name on your lips at appropriate times? Or is He real in your life? With you every step of the way, leading and guiding you in your decisions and choices? What makes Him real? Living a life that is dedicated to Him and His perfect will for your life. God doesn't want to be just a cardboard goalie in your life, He wants to be real, to save you from the Devil. But He won't be real unless you ask Him. If you take away all of the ways that He yearns for us to grow in Him, He'll 'turn to cardboard' and will not be able to keep your life from being taken over by Team Devil's Devices.

I want a real live Goalie in my net, do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment